Looking For Alaska by John Green

Miles has a strange obsession with last words, and so after reading Francois Reblais' last words ("I go to seek a Great Perhaps"), Miles sets off to find his own Great Perhaps, which for him is found at the Culver Creek Boarding School. Having to room with someone who smokes and drinks the same amount that he studies is a big change for Miles, as is having the beautiful and eccentric Alaska Young living down the hallway. Throughout his time at Culver Creek, Miles makes friends. Sure they might be strange but they're friends none the less. They play pranks, the likes of which the school has never seen before and throughout it all, he also starts to fall for Alaska which can only lead to difficulty as she is dealing with her own set of problems. Can Miles find his way through the "labyrinth of suffering" and discover his own Great Perhaps?

This book has dealt with some controversy on the subject matter in it. There is sex, drugs, alcohol, swearing, and smoking, and yet that really isn't the essence of the story. The real heart of the book lies in the coming of age of a young and insecure guy. It also focuses on Alaska and all the heartache, mystery, and "screwiness" that come with her. I think that Looking For Alaska was a positively marvelous book that wove a story of tragedy and love with frank and realistic writing. I've read John Green's other book, An Abundance of Katherines and I liked it a lot, but I also think that this book was much better. I think it had more depth and meaning in it that really helped you to relate to the characters and what they were going through. I loved the humor, the plot, the pranks, and all of the hidden meanings, and I think that this book is a must-read for any one. I must caution though, that it is only for mature readers. And I think that that is really all I can say about Looking For Alaska. It was compelling and creative and had a pretty much perfect ending. Just go read it now.