Far From You by Lisa Schroeder (review and vlog)

This is my official post for Lisa Schroeder's Far From You release contest! 
For really pathetic bloopers and stupid-ness on my part, go here.

Far From You by Lisa Schroeder
Years have passed, but Alice has yet to piece her life together after losing her mother to cancer. She copes by writing music, exploring her passion for her boyfriend, and lashing out at her father and his new wife whenever possible. But she'll be forced to deal with issues she's spent so long avoiding when she's trapped in a deadly snowstorm that threatens her life and the lives of her stepmother and newborn sister. 
(Summary from back of book)

LOVED this book. Lisa Schroeder is definitely one of my favorite authors. Not only is she extremely nice, she is also a fantastic writer. And she writes verse novels like none I've read before. I never thought I'd be a huge fan of books written in that style, but I have proved myself wrong twice now. I'm a huge fan of both I Heart You, You Haunt Me and Far From You. Both books are unique, eloquent, flowing, and emotional. I think I might have liked Far From You even more than Lisa's first book because it was longer, more developed, and it dealed with a broader range of issues, from divorce to survival. I also liked that while the book had some aspects of faith and Christianity in it, it wasn't preachy, or forceful. It was just a part of who the characters were. It added a nice angle to the story. The other thing that I liked about this book was how complete it was. It probably has half as many words as a prose novel of its same size does and it gets the story across just as clearly if not more so. The thing about verse novels is that they are better with emotion and details and feelings. You get to know the characters better and you feel more of a connection to the plot and what's going on in every aspect of the story. And that's the thing that I loved the most. The connection I felt with the book, the characters, and the author. I wish I could get that close to every book I read but sadly, that only happens with a select handful; Far From You included. 
Far From You by Lisa Schroeder comes out in 2 days, on December 23rd and I highly recommend that you pick up a copy. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. :)

My review of I Heart You, You Haunt Me (written a long time ago :P)


Be sure to comment on this post for extra entries in the contest.
The official contest post over at Lisa's blog is here.
Head on over to Vanessa's for tomorrow's vlog.

Get excited for December 23rd! Enter the contest, watch the vlogs, spread the word, and READ THE BOOK!