Booking Through Thursday/Saturday #33: Graphic

On Saturday

Last Saturday (May 2nd) is Free Comic Book Day! In celebration of comics and graphic novels, some suggestions: - Do you read graphic novels/comics? Why do/don’t you enjoy them? - How would you describe the difference between “graphic novel” and “comic”? Is there a difference at all? - Say you have a friend who’s never encountered graphic novels. Recommend some titles you consider landmark/”canonical”.

1. No, I do not read graphic novels. Yes, I do read some comics if the newspaper counts. And even then, only the Sunday ones. I do enjoy comics quite a lot because they're basically just funny pictures. What's not to like?
2. In my mind, the difference between a graphic novel and a comic is that a graphic novel is a story that, instead of being written in prose, is written in pictures. Comics are just comical illustrations of everyday occurences.
3. Can't answer that. Sorry, I suck. :P