Booking Through Thursday/Saturday #11: Why Buy?

On Saturday

Even if you are a die-hard fan of the public library system, I’m betting you have at least ONE permanent resident of your bookshelves in your house. I’m betting that no real book-lover can go through life without owning at least one book. So … why that one? What made you buy the books that you actually own, even though your usual preference is to borrow and return them?
If you usually buy your books, tell me why. Why buy instead of borrow? Why shell out your hard-earned dollars for something you could get for free?

I am one of those die-hard fans of the public library. It doesn't hurt that my local branch recently was renovated and is now sleek and modern and packed with even more books than before. I usually use the library because I can't justify using my hard earned money to buy something I might not even like. And being as big of a reader as I am, it would cost me a TON of moolah to satisfy my habit. It's also nice because my room isn't as packed with books as it could be. My bookshelf is pretty under control. I do have a nice collection of books though and for the most part, they are signed copies, review copies, or gifts. I've just started using Bookmooch though so that might change in the near future as I already have 3 books on their way to me. I hope that doesn't escalate too much... :P